Header photo: "Rubber Ducks Reading Poetry By The Water" by Adam Stone and the Dall-E AI, 2022
Retirement Community Sluts
Please e-mail submissions to
with the subject "Retirement".
Pencil Art: "Retirement", "Community", "Sluts"
by John Nguyen, 2022
The second Crooked Treehouse Anthology of 2023 will be Retirement Community Sluts.
Send your poems about how sex and relationships change as you get older. When we originally did the Retirement Community Sluts reading, it was about sex/relationships over 40. But you don't have to be forty to have experienced how maturing changes your body and/or your emotional well-being.
1. Please send a single poem of fewer than five pages on the subject of Retirement Community Sluts. "Retirement" should be the subject of your e-mail.
2. Please send as a .doc or .docx file. Times New Roman 12 is a perfectly fine font to use. Unless the font is somehow an integral part of your poem, it will be changed before printing. You will receive a pdf of what the poem will look like on the page before the issue goes to print so you can make sure the font change hasn't altered your formatting. I am here to respect your formatting.
3. No bios or cover letters are necessary. I will request specific information, should your work be accepted. Only include the poem and any dedication/intro that you would expect to be published with the poem.
4. You may only submit one poem at a time. But if you receive a rejection before the submission deadline, and would like to submit another poem, you may do so. I will likely not accept or reject the second poem until after the deadline passes.
5. This is not a contest, and there is no monetary prize. Therefore, there is no charge for submission, which is part of the reason you can only submit one poem at a time. Contributors will receive a complimentary copy of the issue they are in.
6. Because this is not a paid competition nor is it for a prestigious prize, you may absolutely submit that creaky old poem that's appeared in all your chapbooks, on WePublishAllPoetry.com, in Taco Bell Quarterly, on your blog, etc. Simultaneous submissions are fine on our end, just check and make sure you have the permissions of the other places you've submitted. You retain all rights to all your work. If this venture is a success, I might ask if we can use your work in a Best Of collection. But I will ask, not demand, and you will absolutely have the right to say "No, thank you." or "Fuck off." depending on your experience with Crooked Treehouse Press.
7. Submissions for "Retirement Community Sluts" are open until January 15th at 11:59pm. You will be notified of your acceptance or rejection before February 1st, 2023. Depending on the volume of submissions, you might get a nice, personal e-mail, or you might get a generic bulk reply. None of this is a reflection of your work, it will be a reflection of how much time/work I have. You're probably wonderful.
8. For further questions, please e-mail me at
with the subject "I Have Questions".